Woodworking Router



Every wood shop needs a router and not only one few of them. Router is the most versatile tool in your shop. A trough working horse. Spend as much as you can on a good one.
When I was first starting my woodworking few years ago I have bought new Bosch  POF 1400 ACE with 8 mm collet  which works great but it has some limitations regarding the depth of plunging and rail. This router is good for small groves, round overs etc. all in all good router to start with.

Few months later I have bought another one but this time blue Bosch GOF 2000 CE professional. As you can read from its name it is 2 kw router and a real monster. I bought it used but still not older than 1 year which was great because I paid half price of a new one.
It came with 8 and 12 mm collet and I bought 1/2˝ one. I use it like this hand held or in the router table. You have to be very careful not to climb cut because this monster will jump.



You see here I use it for mortises. The first thing I did with it was replacing the plastic fence end with some larger and thicker oak peace which you can see on these pictures. What this does it provides more stability during the routing.





Almost all my router bits I ordered throuht ebay from USA. And they are all 1/2˝ shank. For mortising here you can see that I am using 1/2¨ solid carbide up cut spiral bit from Whiteside. For mortising you need good quality  router bit because you are removing lot of wood so don´t be affraid to spend 50 or 60 usd for one.




On the picture above you see why you need working horse and good router bit.
Here I am building two big wooden door for my shop with through mortise and tenon and the
mortise is 10 cm deep so I need to plunge from both sides of the door stiles. This amount of job would be impossible with smaller router and a nightmare with some cheap router bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stihl 070 clutch replacement

Jig's I plan to use for oak